1. Which sport(s) do you / did you participate in? Running, cycling, triathlon & karate.
2. Which year did you become a veggie and why?
1988 – I never liked meat and a particularly ‘chewy’ beef stew turned me Veggie for life.
3. What’s your favourite veggie food? Vegetable Dhansak, Pilau Rice with a side of Sag Paneer.
4. Could you recommend a good veggie café/restaurant?
The Rainbow Cafe in Cambridge & The Alley Cafe in Nottingham.
5. Thinking about your sporting activities, what’s your favourite event to participate in?
Usually ‘parkrun’ but my first triathlon in 2014 has really made me excited to compete in more of these events.
6. What’s your favourite sports event to watch? I really like watching Rugby Union.
7. Are there any other sports you’d like to try?
I’d love to ride a Cycle Sportif or an Audax (not quite sure of the difference!). I’m planning a 50 mile Sportif next April.
8. What made you start participating? To lose weight, keep fit & meet new people.
9. Do you / did you always train purposefully, or just for fun?
I used to train semi-purposefully when I was younger and played rugby but the last few years I’ve just trained for fun and to compete against myself.
10. Do you / did you prefer to be on trails / off road, or on the road?
Initially I preferred to stay on the trails for my running but ever since I invested in a pair of gait-analysis running shoes I don’t mind the roads at all.
11. What is your favourite distance to run / cycle? Run: 10k & Cycle: 40/50k.
12. Which events are on your ‘must do’ or ‘would like to do’ list?
The Blaydon Race (Newcastle), The Great North Run & The London Triathlon (Sprint).
13. What are your plans, sporting wise, for the next few years?
At the tender age of 51, I would like to carry on running, cycling & swimming for as long as I possibly can! I’d also like to be a tourist at as many parkruns as I can.
14. What is favourite post-event / post-training treat?
Definitely a black coffee with hazelnut syrup and a big ole slice of carrot cake!!
15. Do you have any tips for those starting out in your sport?
Set yourself ‘easy’ goals and build up your distance/speed gradually.
16. What is your favourite bit of kit?
My Nike Zoom Structure +17 running shoes (and my Felt F75X Road Bike)
17. What would you recommend as a good food for refuelling on those long runs/bike-rides?
Bananas; I’d love to be like Alf Tupper (who??!!) and eat chips before a race!!
18. What’s your most embarrassing mishap at an event?
Running past the Finish Tunnel on my first triathlon and having to run 20 metres back in front of a large cheering crowd!!
19. Tell us a surprising fact about yourself? I once acted in a training film for English Heritage.
20. Which sporting achievement are you most proud of?
Completing my first triathlon this year; only a ‘Super Sprint’ but it banished the demons of many years.